Work and Learn
Work and Learn
Work and Learn assists KTAP adult basic education students who are working toward their GED and high school graduates who are brushing up on some basic skills before entering college. Work and Learn services are available to help make the transition to college a smooth and successful one. Upon completion of GED/basic skills, students can transfer into the Ready to Work program.
The Ready To Work and Work and Learn Programs serve low income student/parents in the Purchase Area counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Hickman, Livingston, Lyon, Marshall, and McCracken.
We can help with:
- Applying for admission to WKCTC
- Applying for Financial Aid
- Paid work study
- Counseling, advising, and mentoring
- Referrals to community resources
- Job references and referrals
- Job readiness, life skills
- Student success workshops
Am I Eligible? Students must:
- Receive KTAP
- Score 6.0 in Reading and Math on the TABE
- Attend GED10 hrs/wk
Work and Learn Work-Study
Work and Learn offers work opportunities both on and off campus through a work-study program funded by The Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Participants gain work experience while earning extra income that will not reduce their K-TAP benefits. The placement of work-study students in their fields of study with both private and non-profit employers helps prepare them for the workplace and often leads to full-time employment.
- Participants gain work experience and job retention skills
- Participants earn extra income that will not reduce their K-TAP benefits
- Employers have an opportunity to recruit WKCTC students and graduates
How can these programs help you?
In addition to work-study, the Ready to Work and Work and Learn Coordinators can work with your K-TAP case manager to help you access resources for transportation, car repairs, child care, uniforms and work clothing, school supplies, license fees, criminal background checks and drug tests, drivers education, and a $250 educational bonus for high school/GED and college graduation.
Work and Learn now offers a Blackboard eCommunity for student access to important information24/7!
Call today for more information!
Kiki West-Johnson, Coordinator
Ready to Work Program
Anderson Technical Building 130