Girls can learn about STEM careers at WKCTC November 12Girls in third grade through high school are invited to learn more about STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) at the STEM for Girls event to be held on the campus of West Kentucky Community and Technical College in the Emerging Tech Center on Thursday, November 12 from 5:30-8 p.m. Refreshments and on-site registration will be available from 4:30 until 5:30 p.m. and the program begins at 5:30. There is no charge for students to participate but pre-registration is suggested at www.paducahchamber.org. A special session for parents will be offered during the student program.
Students will have the opportunity to explore exciting hands-on activities and demonstrations presented by area professionals in the STEM fields. Each student will attend the opening session with keynote speaker WPSD Local 6 Chief Meteorologist Jennifer Rukavina and then rotate through three of the breakout sessions. The breakouts will be grouped by age: elementary, middle school, and high school. Area female speakers will focus on a variety of programs. These include:
- Emergency Management - April Tilford, Fluor
- Advantages of Robotic Surgery - Dr. Amber Savalls, Baptist Health
- Duck Banding - Jody Swain, Wildlife Biologist with KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
- Challenger Learning Center at Paducah - Mellisa Duncan, Challenger Center
- Veterinarian - Dr. Rennie Church, Ceglinski Animal Clinic
- Optometrist - Dr. Jennifer Gibson, Eye Center of Paducah
- Information Technology - Anna Berlekamp, Kalleo Technologies
- Medical Careers - Dr. Mirriam Slatter, Lourdes
- Careers for Women University of Kentucky College of Engineering Paducah campus Society of Women Engineers
- Radiological Control Technicians representatives from Fluor
- 3D Printing Stephanie Milliken, West Kentucky Community and Technical College
- Discover Engineering local female engineers Rachel Draffen and Miranda Webber, Arkema; Christina Trammell, Westlake Chemical; and Dannielle Ramage, Morsey Constructors
Each participant will receive a drawstring back pack and be eligible to win door prizes.
The STEM for Girls event is coordinated by the Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce Business Education Partnership with presenting sponsors H.B. Fuller, West Kentucky Community and Technical College, Murray State University Regional Outreach. Additional sponsors include: Gold:amp;nbnbsp; Baptist Health Paducah, Fluor Federal Services, Ingevity, Lourdes Hospital, UK College of Engineering, Wellsprings Dermatology: Silver: Arkema, HDR | ICA Engineering and Paducah-River City BPW; Other: , Sylvan Learning Center and Turner Communications.
Register online at paducahchamber.org or by calling the Paducah Chamber of Commerce at (270) 443-1746.