Student Loan Forgiveness | WKCTC

Student Loan Forgiveness

The Federal Direct Loan Program which includes the Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Parent PLUS are loans offered by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to help eligible students cover the cost of higher education. This is money that you will have to repay. You apply through the FAFSA and your College will determine your loan eligibility.

Fresh Start Initiative for Defaulted Loan Borrowers

Defaulted student loan borrowers may be eligible to regain financial aid eligibility through the recently announced “Fresh Start” initiative. The “Fresh Start” helps eligible borrowers in default by restoring Title IV aid eligibility if their loans were in default prior to the student loan repayment pause that began on March 13, 2020. You can find more information about the Fresh Start Initiative and determine if your loans are eligible for this “fresh start” here. This initiative is currently set to end on September 30, 2024 and you must enroll in Fresh Start by this date.

Eligible Loans:

  • Defaulted William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans
  • Defaulted Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans
  • Defaulted Perkins Loans held by ED

Ineligible Loans:

  • Defaulted Perkins Loans held by schools
  • Defaulted Health Education Assistance Loan Program loans
  • Student loans remaining with the U.S. Department of Justice for ongoing litigation
  • Direct Loans that default after the end of the COVID-19 student loan payment pause
  • FFEL Program loans that default after the end of the COVID-19 student loan payment pause


For students who are eligible for the Fresh Start initiative: please complete a Borrower Acknowledgment Form and email to or submit to the financial aid office.

*Please Note: The Borrower Acknowledgment form must contain an actual or hand drawn signature. We cannot accept a typed or digital signature. The Fresh Start initiative only helps students with eligible loans regain eligibility from a default status. Students must still meet other title IV aid eligibility (e.g., maintaining satisfactory academic progress, not owing an overpayment on title IV grants, etc.) to receive financial aid.