Documentation Guidelines | WKCTC

Documentation Guidelines

The Accessibility Services Office at West Kentucky Community and Technical College is committed to providing equal educational opportunities for all qualified students. Appropriate documentation of a disability (which is the paperwork that shows a student has a disability )is required before accommodations can be provided for a student with a disability. The following guidelines are provided to assure that documentation is appropriate to verify eligibility and to support a request for accommodations. A Documentation Verification Form that a qualified healthcare professional (one who should have training and expertise with the particular medical condition or disability identified) can complete is available online.

Current Evaluation Provided by a Qualified Professional

The name, title, and professional credentials of the evaluator must be clearly stated in the documentation. The evaluator must be licensed or certified to conduct the evaluation and diagnose the specific disability. All evaluation reports should be on official letterhead, typed, dated and signed. The evaluation should have been completed within the last three years. An Evaluation Report and IEP or 504 Plan can serve as documentation.

Documentation to Verify Eligibility Must Be Comprehensive and Include:

  • Diagnosis- Includes a statement of the medical, physical, cognitive, or mental health impairment. It is preferred that the diagnosis be from the most recent edition of the DSM
  • Date first diagnosed
  • Names of relevant test(s)
  • Status of the individuals disability
  • Current treatment(s)
  • A description of the conditions current functional impact on learning or other major life activity relevant to the WKCTC academic environment;
  • A statement addressing the individuals suggested accommodations including a rationale as to why each suggested accommodation is needed

Examples of documentation verification include, but are not limited to, an assessment report,evaluation report,psycho-educational report, or a neuropsychological report. An Individual Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan can be used as documentation. To use an IEP or 504 Plan is should contain the same basic information as listed above. If you are unsure of appropriate documentation, please contact the Office of Accessibility Services.