Commencement Ceremony Information
Congratulations! West Kentucky Community and Technical College’s president and faculty and staff would like to invite you, your family and friends to participate in commencement. For your reference, we have put together this commencement information page for more detailed information on the schedule of events for the day of commencement.
WKCTC holds three commencements per academic year, two in May and one in December.
- All graduates* from the previous Summer semester and the Fall semester will be invited to attend commencement in December.
- All graduates* from the Spring semester will be invited to attend commencement in May.
- Students must fill out a credential application in order to be considered to receive any certificate, diploma or degree for a semester. If the credential application is submitted after the deadline, the student will not receive commencement information and their name will not be printed in the appropriate Commencement Program or be provided to hometown media.
- Students must go to the WKCTC Bookstore in order to RSVP for commencement and purchase cap/gown.
- Credentials will not be handed out at commencement. Students will be contacted approximately 10-12 weeks following commencement to pick up their credential in the Anderson Technical Building, Room 106.
*A graduate is any student who receives a certificate, diploma, OR degree.
Location: Luther Carson Four Rivers Center
Times: 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Arrival Times - Graduates
Arrive no later than 9:45 a.m. for the 10:30 a.m. ceremony
Doors open for guests at approximately 10 a.m.
Arrive no later than 12:45 p.m. for the 1:30 p.m. ceremony
Doors open for guests at approximately 1 p.m.
Graduates, please arrive in your commencement cap and gown attire. Graduates must enter through the back loading dock entrance of the Carson Center and sign in at the registration table for the ceremony. WKCTC staff will be available to help students line up for processional.
Arrival Times - Faculty / Staff
Arrive no later than 9:45 a.m. for the 10:30 a.m. ceremony
Second ceremony begins at 1:30 p.m.
Please arrive in regalia. Faculty must enter through the back loading dock entrance of the Carson Center and check in with staff volunteers for the ceremony. Staff volunteers will also assist faculty with lining up for the processional.
2020 Spring and Fall Commencement Ceremony Breakdown
First Ceremony • Saturday, December 19, 2020 • 10:30 a.m.
Students should report to the Luther F. Carson Center LOADING DOCK no later than 9:45 a.m. to be checked in for the ceremony.
- Associate in Science
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical
- Health Science Technology
- Medical Laboratory
- Nursing - Associate Degree Nursing
- Nursing - Practical Nursing
- Nursing - Nursing Assistant
- Pharmacy Technology
Physical Therapist Assistant
- Surgical Technology
Second Ceremony • Saturday December 19, 2020 • 1:30 p.m.
Students should report to the Luther F. Carson Center LOADING DOCK no later than 12:45 p.m. to be checked in for the ceremony.
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Fine Arts - Visual Arts
- Air Conditioning Technology
- Apprenticeship Studies
- Automotive Technology
- Business Studies - Business Administration
- Business Studies - Medical Information Technology
- Business Studies - Office Systems Technology
- Collision Repair Technology
- Computer Aided Drafting and Design
- Computer and Information Technologies
- Computerized Manufacturing and Machining
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Diesel Technology
- Fire/Rescue Science Technology
- Homeland Security/Emergency Management
- Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Manufacturing Industrial Technology - Electrical Technology
- Manufacturing Industrial Technology - Industrial Maintenance Technology
- Marine Technology
- Mechatronic Systems
- Visual Communication - Multimedia
- Welding Technology
Cap, Gown & Tassel
Students can purchase/pick-up cap and gown from November 2-30, 2020. WKCTC Bookstore hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
(Cap, Gown, 1 Tassel)
$42.00 + tax
1 Extra Tassel
$7.00 + tax
Phi Theta Kappa Stoles
Graduating Phi Theta Kappa students should contact Dr. Gericke (Rosenthal Hall Office or email@example.com) to order stoles. The cost will be $20 (cash or check payable to PTK). Students must be a PTK member in good standing (minimum 3.20 cumulative GPA and receiving a degree at time of order). The deadline to order stoles for December commencement is November 1. The deadline to order stoles for May commencement is April 1.
Graduating veterans are eligible to wear a red, white, and blue honor cord with their cap and gown in honor of their military service. If you have served honorably in the U.S. military and are graduating and attending a WKCTC Commencement, you will receive an honor cord to represent your service to our country. To obtain your honor cord, please contact WKCTC Veterans Coordinator.
Blue / White
Graduating students wearing blue and white cords represent University of Kentucky College of Engineering students attending the UK-Paducah campus and are potentially eligible to receive an associate degree at West Kentucky Community and Technical College.
Blue Honor Cords
Diploma/Degree students with a 3.6 GPA or higher, may pick up their honor cords at the commencement check-in table.
For Spring graduate honors, the Fall cumulative GPA is used, as well as the Fall cumulative credit hours with the addition of courses in progress.
For Fall graduate honors, the Summer cumulative GPA is used, as well as the Summer cumulative credit hours with the addition of courses in progress.
Directions to the Center
From points North and West of Paducah: Take I-24 East to Exit 4 “Downtown Loop” (KY State Highway 60). Take the Downtown Loop into downtown Paducah and turn left on Kentucky Avenue and go two blocks. The Center is on your right.
From points South and East of Paducah: Take I-24 West to Exit 11: “Husbands Road.” Turn right onto John Puryear Drive and follow it all the way into downtown Paducah. Turn right on Kentucky Avenue and go one block. The Center will be on your right.
Enter at Loading Dock
All faculty/staff and students must enter through the loading dock. You must check-in at registration table located inside the loading dock entrance. If you try to enter through the front entrance lobby, you will not be allowed to enter. Front entrance for guests only.
Parking at the Center
You may park in any of the parking lots: A, B, C. or D. Note: parking will be reserved for VIP guests and handicap parking in Lot A. Parking for the commencement platform party will also be reserved in Lot B.
If you have questions about your credential requirements for commencement, you may contact Jessica Puffenbarger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 270-534-3504.
If you have questions about the commencement ceremonies at the Luther F. Carson Center, you may contact Tammy Thompson at email@example.com or 270-534-3215.
Celebrate Your Achievement
Honor Your Graduation with Commencement Portraits
SMILE! You’ve made it! Professional photographers with Lifetouch Special Events will be taking photos of you throughout the day at commencement.
Visit events.lifetouch.com to sign up and receive notification when your proofs are online and ready to order. Click on the blue "Find Your Event" box.
Dialog boxes: "Select Event Type" - select Graduations
State/Province - select Kentucky
City - don't select a field
Event Date: don't select a field
School or Organization Keyword: West Kentucky
Photo ID: don't select a field
Click the blue "Find" box and then select West Kentucky Comm & Tech - Commencement, Spring 2020. Correlates to May 2020 commencement date. Fill out the notification email request information.
- Everyone will be photographed
- Photos will be online at the link above ten days after the ceremony
- Complimentary proofs mailed to graduates
- No obligation to purchase
For questions, contact Lifetouch at 800.505.9496
Graduates with special needs are asked to notify Tammy Thompson by Monday, November 9 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 270.534.3215.
Graduates can purchase their cap, gown and tassel in the WKCTC Bookstore between April 1-30, 2020. Bookstore hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cap, gown and tassel are $42, plus tax. An extra tassel is $7 plus tax.
Press your gowns. You want to look your best. We suggest you wear dark clothing and comfortable dark shoes.
Leave all personal belongings in your vehicle. WKCTC and the Carson Center are not responsible for lost or stolen items.