Fuel your career with hands-on experience servicing medium and heavy-duty trucks.
What is Diesel Technology?
The Diesel Technology program is a sequence of courses designed to prepare students for careers in medium/heavy truck, farm equipment service, or construction equipment repair. Instruction, delivered by lecture and hands-on training, is provided by a National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) Master Certified Truck Technician. The program is NATEF certified as a division of the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) national institution for certifying medium/heavy duty truck technicians.
A basic mechanical ability, as well as previous mechanical experience, is helpful in the diesel mechanics study, but is not required. Students will be trained in a modern, clean training facility with an emphasis on quality of work as well as good work ethics. Graduates of the program can find work in new truck, farm and construction equipment dealerships, independent repair shops, specialty shops, fleet repair facilities, and a number of other diesel related facilities.
What are my degree, diploma, and certificate options?
- General Occupational/Technical Studies AAS
- Agriculture Equipment Technician Diploma
- Construction Equipment Technician Diploma
- Medium and Heavy Truck Technician Diploma
- Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper Certificate
- Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper Certificate
- Diesel Engine Mechanic Certificate
- Diesel Steering and Suspension Mechanic Certificate
- Electrical/Electronics Systems Mechanic Certificate
- Fluid Power Mechanic Certificate
- Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic Certificate
- Heavy Duty Drive Train Mechanic Certificate
- Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic Certificate
- Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic Certificate
- Preventative Maintenance Mechanic Certificate
- Undercarriage Mechanic Certificate
How Do I Pay For This?
Worry no more. With the lowest tuition in Kentucky, financial aid options, and a helping hand to guide you through the application process, WKCTC has you covered. WKCTC will help you reach your goals at a price that won't break the bank.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
Program Standing: A student must receive a grade of C or better to receive credit for successful completion of courses in the diesel technology curriculum.
Some employers in the industry require ASE certification. ASE certification is not required to complete the program at the college, but students are encouraged to become ASE certified to improve their job prospects.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in collaboration with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.