Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity may be the hardest thing for a society to live with, and perhaps the most dangerous thing for a society to be without.
by William Sloane Coffin, Jr.
The Office of Cultural Diversity & Inclusion is here to serve you. In 1990 the college established the first minority affairs position in the Kentucky Community College System. The Office of Cultural Diversity & Inclusion strives to enhance the academic, cultural, and social needs of minority students at West Kentucky Community and Technical College by providing opportunities for multi-cultural education and assisting in the development of a campus culture where diversity is respected and valued.
Octavia Lawrence, Associate Dean of Student Services/Interim Director of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Anderson Technical Building, Room 100
• If you would like a copy of the complete Diversity Plan, a PDF version can be emailed to you.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategies
1. Maximize URM high school student dual credit/dual enrollment by offering appropriate pathways that lead to entry into job market and/or transition to college
2.Maximize URM traditional credential-seeking enrollment by using marketing and recruiting techniques that reach target population
3. Maximize URM non-traditional credential-seeking enrollment by using marketing and recruiting techniques that reach target population
4. Maximize URM workforce enrollment by using marketing and recruitment that reach target population
5. Increase Outreach to African-American, Hispanic and Underrepresented Communities
6. Enhance and support services to serve academically vulnerable students including URM and low income
7. Maximize effectiveness to identify and retain At Risk URM students
8. Develop and coordinate a comprehensive retention communication plan
9. Expand the use of appreciative advising to promote retention and completion
10. Establish and implement support to help URM and Low-income students successfully complete gatekeeper college-credit courses
11. Establish support to help URM and low-income students successfully complete developmental course sequences
12. Facilitate intentional recruitment practices to enhance workforce diversity
13. Implement and refine an inclusive employee retention plan to maintain a diverse workforce
14. Provide purposeful professional development opportunities to enhance awareness and increase knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Implement a cultural audit for faculty and staff